Return to the Woodworking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
stripping 1916 trim

Posted by kindred_ny (My Page) on
Mon, Feb 27, 12 at 19:25

I have begun stripping the trimwork (doorways, windows and baseboard) in my 1916 home. The people who owned the house just before the previous owners are still in the area, and they said they painted the trim since "it was ugly wood, chestnut or something". I have stripped about 1/2 of a doorway so far, but can't get all the paint off with the "friendly" stripper I am using (kids and pets in the house, so I don't want to use really aggressive stuff). I have most of it off, but some just won't come up with scraping and stripper. It doesn't look like it's in the wood, just really stuck to it. It's probably lead based, since it was painted on so long ago, and some spots where the top layer came off look somewhat shiny. (there are only 3 layers of paint; 2 green layers and a white layer) I have "washed" it with 0000 grade steel wool and denatured alcohol, but that's really not working either. How course can I go without gouging the wood? And would courser steel wool do the trick? And Any other hints for getting a good base? I'm hoping to use linseed oil, then shellac as a finish. In the kitchen I may apply varnish since it's a wet room.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: stripping 1916 trim

Definitely use a 00 steel wool; 4/0 is just for rubbing out final finishes.
Any chemical stripper will work optimally at 85 degrees F. Winter I have always found to be too cold and dry for chemical strippers to really work well.
If the wood has no sealer underneath, using only chemicals will tend to grind the pigment into the pores.
A hot stripper is always more satisfactory because it quickly lifts as much pigment out of the pores as possible.
Some people testify that brushing on a coat of shellac and then stripping again will pull more pigment out of the wood, the logic being that the paint will stick to the shellac; I can't verify this legend, but if you find yourself at an impasse, it's probably worth a halfhearted try.
Casey

o

Thanks, Casey. I have heard people mention a really good hot stripper, but I can't seem to recall the name of the one everyone raves about. Do you happen to know?

o

Silent paint remover?

o

By "Hot Stripper" I did not mean to imply:
Gypsy Rose Lee.
Any heat tools (heat gun, heat plate, silent paint stripper).
I did mean a chemical stripper with methylene chloride as the active ingredient, like (my fave) "Kutzit". The kind that smells and burns the skin, but works with amazing speed and gets the job done faster so you can enjoy your accomplishment.
A heat tool is great too, esp. if there is shellac underneath; so much better than chemicals alone.
Casey

o

have you tried the Peel Away Paint Stripper that you cover with paper. Paint sticks to paper with the stripper, very messy but works.

Here is a link that might be useful: Peel Away Paint Remover

o

I've never heard of that kind of stripper, sloyd. Thanks! I just might have to try that! :)

o

With seven kinds of 'peel away' it is pretty hard to make any judgement about the product.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Woodworking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here