Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kindred_ny

stripping 1916 trim

kindred_ny
12 years ago

I have begun stripping the trimwork (doorways, windows and baseboard) in my 1916 home. The people who owned the house just before the previous owners are still in the area, and they said they painted the trim since "it was ugly wood, chestnut or something". I have stripped about 1/2 of a doorway so far, but can't get all the paint off with the "friendly" stripper I am using (kids and pets in the house, so I don't want to use really aggressive stuff). I have most of it off, but some just won't come up with scraping and stripper. It doesn't look like it's in the wood, just really stuck to it. It's probably lead based, since it was painted on so long ago, and some spots where the top layer came off look somewhat shiny. (there are only 3 layers of paint; 2 green layers and a white layer) I have "washed" it with 0000 grade steel wool and denatured alcohol, but that's really not working either. How course can I go without gouging the wood? And would courser steel wool do the trick? And Any other hints for getting a good base? I'm hoping to use linseed oil, then shellac as a finish. In the kitchen I may apply varnish since it's a wet room.

Comments (7)