Return to the Woodworking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Recommendations for wood to case ceiling beam?

Posted by hearthside_im_all_in (My Page) on
Sat, Feb 14, 09 at 19:13

Hi all,

I'm new to this forum, so please redirect me if necessary.

We just had our kitchen ceiling replaced (frozen pipe upstairs - guess the kitchen reno project starts sooner than expected!), and our contractor installed a ceiling beam to head off the beginning of a sag. Rather than sheetrock over the beam, we decided to leave it exposed and make it an architectural focus. The contractor used three 2x6's for the beam, and two 2x4's for the post along the wall.

What would you recommend as the wood to encase the lumber? We like the look of post and beam, and we'd like to stain it instead of paint. The contractor suggested pine, while a friend of mine recommended poplar. From searching the forum, it sounds like both are tough to stain. Is there anything else that's reasonably easy to obtain we should consider?

Thanks in advance!
Emily

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Recommendations for wood to case ceiling beam?

Cedar is a popular wood for your purpose. You can use a rough surface wood for a rustic look or smooth wood for a more finished look. Stain in the form of deck stains can be used.

o

I recommend clear vertical grain (CVG) fir. It's a very beautiful wood and all you need to do is wipe on a tung oil finish to give it a beautiful glow. It will take a very even finish with no blotching and it will get richer-looking over time.

o

Thank you, handymac and kudzu9. Do you know of a website where pictures of different species are compared with various finishes? I'd like to become more familiar with the woods you have suggested, but I'm not sure where to look.

o

See the list below

Here is a link that might be useful: Wood list and pictures

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Woodworking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here