Return to the Woodworking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Water on oil polyurethane?

Posted by woodswell (My Page) on
Sun, Feb 24, 08 at 18:55

I had some shelves made for my kitchen but the man did not finish the job. He used Minwax oil based polyurethane to spray the frames and some of the shelves - some shelves were never sprayed at all.

I am trying to complete the project but would prefer to use water based poly as the final coat or two. (I had told the carpenter this but he ignored me. ;-( )

Can I use water based over the oil poly or should I just stick to oil based to complete this project?

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Water on oil polyurethane?

You should be able to do it, but I would stick to oil based if you started with that. I have never been fond of the Water Based Poly.

o

If it has oil based poly on now, use oil base. Water base will more than likely fail or chip off if you hit the surface with something.

o

Thanks - I knew that was the answer but was hoping I could get away with it. ;-)

And now that I am ready to varnish of course the weather is not cooperating - too much rain or too cold to varnish outside, or even varnish inside and open the windows. Oh well, I've only been waiting since November for these shelves to be finished. I can wait a little longer.

Thank you again!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Woodworking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here