Return to the Woodworking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Fixing a scrape in finished wood

Posted by linnea56 (My Page) on
Sat, Feb 7, 09 at 18:47

I bought a vintage walnut china cabinet that needs some TLC. A cabinet door loosened on its hinges and made semi-circular scrape marks on the flat surface in front of the door. While I have the door off I can re-stain the scrape but Im wondering what else I should do. (there is unstained wood on the back where I can test the shades first until I have it right) I think even if I get the color matched right the scrape may still be visible. It is not deep enough to fill.

Treat it like a dent and try to raise the wood? But since it is not sunk but rather abraded that might be a waste of time. Give it a light careful sanding with very fine sandpaper to try to smooth out the ridges? Or will that cause more damage than it cures? Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Fixing a scrape in finished wood

Shellac burn in sticks are a common way to replace missing wood.
They are melted with a burn in knife (electric or alcohol burner heat) and then pressed into the damaged area.
They come in many shades, and you match the lightest shade present, then use paint or colored markers to fill in the darker areas.
The entire repair is then coated with shellac for protection and the clear top finish reworked.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Woodworking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here