Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
beenie130

Molding to mimic the look of crown

beenie130
15 years ago

Hello, I have posted this on the remodeling forum as well but thought I might get some good experience here...

I have a room with ac vents installed in the ceiling, basically butted right up to where the wall and ceiling meet. This leaves no room for crown (it would cover part of the vent). There is not the option to move the vent, and I don't want to stop and start with returns on either side of the vent. My idea is to run an astragal molding on the top of the walls, so the top edge of the molding butts up to the ceiling. The purpose is to give a crown "effect."

The largest astragal I can find is 1 3/4 inches wide, which won't make a very substantial "crown effect."

I had suggested to my client to leave an inch or two of wall space below the astragal and then run a small piece of maybe 1/2 inch edging molding (with a little detailing on it) below the space. Paint both pieces of trim white, including the wall in between. The client didn't want wall in between the moldings, although I have a feeling it would look nice.

So we are going with a flat piece of lattice behind the astragal, so that about 1 inch or so of the lattice will show beneath it, making the "crown" about 2 3/4 inches high.

Sorry this is so long and I hope not too confusing.

Has anyone done this sort of thing before and how did you like the effect? I have searched the web and haven't had much luck. I will post pics when done if the client is OK with that.

Thanks

Comment (1)

• beenie130
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I have gotten some responses in the remodeling forum on this so I will bump this down...

Sponsored
EA Home Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars69 Reviews
Loudoun County's Trusted Kitchen & Bath Designers | Best of Houzz