Return to the Woodworking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How do I trim 1/8' off cabinet facia?

Posted by buellwinkle (My Page) on
Fri, Feb 4, 11 at 18:29

I had a trash compactor and I'm replacing it with a wine cooler. The opening needs to be about 1/8" larger. I can sand it, but it will likely take me forever and not come out straight. I've tried hand planes, but that's takes skill that I never mastered.

Is there a tool that's best for cutting a straight line on a facia of a the cabinet (1/2" thick wood) that can shave about 1/8"? A router maybe? A power saw?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How do I trim 1/8' off cabinet facia?

Router with a flush-cutting bit. The ball-bearing guides are much recommended. It won't cut all the way to the top unless the c-top is removed. The smaller the router base, the closer it will get, assuming the presence of a c-top.Cut can be finished with a sharp chisel following a carefully marked line, finish with sandpaper wrapped around a wood block.
Casey

o

The way I'm reading your message, the cabinet will be in place when you make the cut. If so, that's going to be a little tricky.

What kind of tools do you have and what kind of skill level do you have?

o

My neighbor just replaced a dishwasher and needed to trim the opening by about 1/8". We marked it with a pencil and used a small reciprocal saw. We didn't rush the job and reasoned that the face of the dishwasher would hide a less than perfectly straight cut. Surprisingly, it turned out straight and smooth. I'm sure you'll get more efficient recommendations here, but using what we had handy, this method worked pretty well.

o

A small belt sander has been used for scribing for a long time.

o
erRE: How do I trim 1/8' off cabinet facia?

The belt should run parallel to the face frame, not across the thickness.

o

If you can't get at it with a router, I would try a Japanese hand saw.

Clamp a straight piece of wood to the front of the face frame and follow the edge of the wood with the saw blade.

It is possible to start the cut by plunging through the front. The clamped-on straight board protects the part you want to keep.

Clean up the edge with the small belt sander before you unclamp the board.

o

I said practically the same thing as aidan_m this morning before I left for the day. It looks like I never confirmed the post, though. That's my choice too.

o

Any saw can have problems with thin cut.

Break off the waste and the saw has no guidance.

The common way of scribing and edge (requires removal of small and varying amounts) is to belt sand then off.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Woodworking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here