Return to the Woodworking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
clear filler for large open knots?

Posted by vondab (My Page) on
Fri, Feb 8, 08 at 18:10

I am having a kitchen island top built out of some really cool old oak boards (2" thick) I pulled out of the hay loft of my ooooold barn. I had them remilled, to some degree, to straighten them and remove the "gunk" but they still have plenty of "character"! I had barely enough for the top so wasn't able to cut out a few big open knots in one board in particlar. The guy at the lumber yard said there's a product that I can use to fill these that dries clear, hard, and smooth, but he didn't know what it was called, naturally. I sure hope he is right because if not, I'll be vaccuming a lot of crumbs out of those deep holes! Any suggestions?? TIA!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: clear filler for large open knots?

I have seen epoxy used this way. Some people even embed things like turquoise chips or gold flakes in them.

The other option is to use bondo, tinted dark or black.

Before you commit to your project, drill a hole in some scrap wood and test it out to make sure you're happy with the result.

o

Thank you!

Are all epoxies the same?

I'm afraid I've already committed... =) It's practically finished! Just have to cut the radius and the sink cutout, and then fill those holes! =)

o

I regularly use a number of epoxies. I have a 5 minute and 30 minute liquid (T-88), several gels, and a number of putties (with microbeads and color). Although they are chemically similar, some have an amber cast (which can be a good or bad thing), some are more opaque than others. They also make a bar-top type epoxy that is poured on and left as a finish.

o

bobsmyuncle... where do I look for the epoxies you mentioned? I checked Lowe's and nothing they have dries clear like glass. Totally ignorant here. Thanks...

o

Here's a clear bar top coating.....available at hardware and craft stores everywhere.........check "Where to Buy"

http://www.eti-usa.com/consum/envtex/envlite.htm

Here is a link that might be useful: Envirotex

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Woodworking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here