Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
weehavengarden

Matching old oak stair parts to new. Please help.

weehavengarden
11 years ago

First of all THANK YOU all for any advice you can offer!

We have a 25 year old stairway (please see photo) that has an open skirt, risers, and treads all in oak one side. This is followed by plywood for carpeting. The plywood then abuts a white wall skirt board.

I would like the stairway to look more balanced. So I am planning to attach oak plywood to the white wall skirt board and also trim it in oak so that it will look more like a wood stairway with a runner. Then I will add new carpeting over the plywood.

The question is how do I get the two sides of oak to match in color? I think the original oak was polyurethaned, not stained--but I am not sure.

Should I remove the polyurethane and reapply a new coat to both sides? Should I remove the polyurethane and re-stain both sides the same color? I would like to go a little darker and less honey/orange color of possible.

Should I just try to match the existing color? How do I do that?

If I should remove the urethane and reapply it or re-stain, what is the best way to go about it? Please be specific because I am new at this.

Please help. We have to do all the work ourselves and can't afford a new stairway.

THANK YOU.

This post was edited by weehavengarden on Sat, Feb 16, 13 at 18:25