Return to the Woodworking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
cracks in beam

Posted by wease (My Page) on
Sun, Feb 8, 09 at 17:53

I had a large remodel project that started 2 years ago. There is a beam in my kitchen area that has some splitting in it that appeared right away. It hasn't changed since it was installed and the engineer says it's a characteristic in the wood. I'm wondering if I can putty these splits and sand it smooth? Any suggestions for a good holding putty that won't spit out and will maybe flex if need be?

These splits appeared in every piece of douglas fir in my home, structural and non-structural. I don't mind the look but my wife would like to see it smoothed out.

http://173.18.253.96/images/crack.jpg

Here is a link that might be useful: pic of split

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: cracks in beam

Totally normal. The cause comes from the difficulty of evenly drying a piece of timber that size. The outside dries quickly, but the interior can take years to dry. Drying causes the wood to move and when the outside and inside moves differently, cracks appear.

You can fill the cracks with wood filler, but matching the color will be difficult.

o

I have the original stain that was used on the timber. Is there a putty I could use that would take the stain the same way as the doug fir?

o

I doubt it. Most manufacturers advertise their filler will stain---but they seldom match---and some don't stain well.

But, experimenting can be interesting, if not actually fun.

o

You can get the colored putty used to fill hardwood floors.
The colors can be intermixed to get a closer shade.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Woodworking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here