Return to the Woodworking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
In need of a few good friends to hold my hand & help with entry

Posted by dazzlemewithcolor (My Page) on
Sun, Feb 6, 11 at 17:28

Being sick to death with oak, I really am ready to make a drastic change. Please help me figure this out. If I can get this entry way looking more like us, I think it will be a good start to getting the ball rolling as far as decorating the rest of the house.

And here are my stairs.

Photobucket

And another view...

Photobucket

If I painted the risers and spindles, stained darker the steps, railings, newel posts, and the skirt board on the wall...does this mean I have to paint all my trim white as well? Like I said, I rather would have to stain the trim all darker, maybe match the steps?

And here is the front door which needs staining also. It is opposite of the stairs.

Photobucket

Stairs that I adore...

New Old Farmhouse: Stairwell and Front Entry traditional staircase

San Jose Res 2 traditional

Sullivan Conard Architects traditional staircase

And here, on the other side of the stairs is the DR.

Photobucket

See, I told you there was a lot of honey oak. All this trim needs updating. Don't worry, this hideous chandy is coming down any day as soon as new fixture arrives.

Also, we do plan on replacing the flooring with wood in a few years. Have not painted walls other than DR since I wanted to work on the wood before hand.

I really would appreciate your thoughts and suggestions.

Thank you

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: In need of a few good friends to hold my hand & help with ent

see related post

Here is a link that might be useful: Other Thread

o
RE: In need of a few good friends to hold my hand & help with ent

I would think twice about painting the risers--mine always get scuff marks. I much prefer the look of white (without scuffs) risers, but if I knew that mine were always going to get scuffed I would have considered wooden risers. I would first try painting the spindles and see if that gets you what you want.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Woodworking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here