Return to the Woodworking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Staining window muntins--how to get excess off glass?

Posted by slateberry51 (My Page) on
Fri, Feb 18, 11 at 17:15

Hi, I'm staining the interior of a fixed (non-opening) pine window. To get it to blend with other woodwork in the house, i'm starting with a 5% dewaxed shellac washcoat, then some gel stain, then sealing with 2# cut dewaxed shellac (zinnser seal coat), then finishing up with general finishes topcoat wiping varnish, which may or may not get a bit of pigment in it if necessary for final tint matching.

The gel and varnish are going on with a rag; the shellac steps will be done with a brush.

I'm not worried about getting shellac off the glass, but the rag application of the gel and varnish steps is going to be messy. So I think I'll tape the glass, but still, there will probably be bleeding along the edges. Should I be nervous about scratching the glass if I use a razor blade to get the bleed off? Any other suggestions for getting the gel and varnish off the glass?

Is there a better way to approach this overall? I did 4 windows 3 years ago, except last step was polyurethane instead of varnish because I didn't know better at the time, and I still haven't got the edges of the window glass looking nice (bc I'm nervous with the razor, and suspect that nothing else will work on the polyurethane at this point.)

Could one of you power posters just do a vulcan mind meld with me? I never knew how much I didn't know until I started browsing this forum :-)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Staining window muntins--how to get excess off glass?

Get a holder for single edged razor blades. Many auto parts stores have a type that has blade storage in the handle and a long shaft. I like that type better than the fold away metal holders.

Use the scrapers as soon after removing the tape and when the finish has started to set. Material will have a tendency to stick to the blade of the razor. Getting it off safely can be done by having a rag handy. Lay the rag on a flat surface, hold the far end, and drag the blade away from the hand to clean.

o

Wrap a tee-shirt weight piece of rag around the edge of a small putty knife. This can get into corners. Use with or without lacquer thinner depending on timing.
Casey

o

OK, now I can proceed with confidence. Thanks!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Woodworking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here