Return to the Woodworking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Refinishing Pine Slab Stairs

Posted by hopesprings (My Page) on
Sun, Feb 3, 08 at 17:05

Our house has an open staircase built of large pine slabs. The previous owners had a dog and some of the steps are scratched and gouged, although not in horrible shape. The edges are also a bit worn on some steps, mostly from 10 years of use.

I sanded the bottom step to see how they would refinish. When it was bare, I stained it and got a too dark blotchy mess. So I sanded it down again and sealed it with varnish, which is basically the right color. However, the varnish has made it really blotchy too, although a lighter mess. :)

Should I use a wood conditioner first? And are they only for stained wood? Or can a wood conditioner help before adding a clear satin varnish?

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Refinishing Pine Slab Stairs

If you can find some...try BonaKemi DriFast stains made specifically for flooring. With pine work, I hit each step first with the natural stain and then only a minute later I quickly apply the darker color. The natural stain acts something like a wood conditioner and the pine seems to take the stain more evenly. Also, this stain is the best flooring stain product I've used. Hardly any splotching with most wood even when used straight out of the can.

Any wood will stain better if it is all consistently sanded smooth.

However...in my experience with pine or fir stairs that have been in service for many years...be advised that the 'splotchiness' you are seeing may be due to permanent cell damage in the wood from being stepped on repeatedly over the years. This 'damage' can extend deeply into the wood (1/8" is not uncommon) and much of this cannot be sanded out. Even if you think you've got a clean and ready surface, once you hit it with your finishing product the 'shadows' reappear. If the splotchiness or a shadow appears where feet would meet the step, then that is what the problem is.

In cases where cell damage is evident and is the cause of uneven staining, very careful application of additional stain to the lighter areas can blend it all together to look good. Takes time and patience.

o
RE: Refinishing Pine Slab Stairs

Thanks, glennsfc. I will try to find that product and take one more swing at it. It's also possible the dark parts are cell damage...although there are few spots that are on the side edges that shouldn't be. But you've given me hope. :)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Woodworking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here