Return to the Woodworking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

quality spray finish on cabinets?

Posted by sunroomguy (My Page) on
Wed, Feb 20, 08 at 16:54

hello, i will be building all of the kit & bath cabinets for our new home. most will be hickory and some will be cherry. i have a well equipped shop and am a pretty good finish carpenter but a lousy finisher. i will also be spraying the paint on the mdf trim and masonite doors. i'm looking to invest in a spray system and need some direction. can anyone suggest a website or other source to help me learn about the different types of finishes and how to apply a high quality finish? which type and brand of sprayer should i consider? i did a google search without much luck. thanx in advance for your response.

Follow-Up Postings:

RE: quality spray finish on cabinets?

Here's a link to a good article from Fine Woodworking Magazine that compares various finish materials and their relative ease of use etc.

Most kitchen cabinet manufacturers today are using conversion varnish for it's moisture and chemical resistance. I think HVLP (high volume, low pressure)spray is the most popular method for hand spray. I finished my cabinets 32 years ago with regular nitrocellulose lacquer using airless spray and they held up quite well. A lot depends on the use and care. Nitro lacquer is the easiest and most forgiving to spray, dries fast and is easy to repair.

Here is a link that might be useful: Fine Woodworking on finishes.

RE: quality spray finish on cabinets?

Woodweb's professional finishing knowledgebase

Devilbiss ABC's of Spray Finishing PDF

Target Coatings Manual PDF

That ought to keep you busy.

Since you're DIY, it's probably safe to assume a couple of handicaps (besides lack of practice); you probably don't have a big industrial air compressor, and you probably don't have a commercial ventilation system. These handicaps will narrow your options and simplify some of the choices you need to make. A smallish compressor means you need a gun that doesn't consume much air, so you're looking at HVLP (high volume, low pressure) or LVLP (low volume, low pressure). A marginal or non-existent ventilation system means you need a gun that produces minimal overspray (again, HVLP or LVLP) and also means that you need to avoid finishes that are dangerous when atomized, so you need to look into waterbase finishes. Target Coatings is as good a brand as any.

RE: quality spray finish on cabinets?

A system I just started using in my shop, outside of my spray booth, is an air assisted spray system. This is an airless pump with a separate air only line to the gun. The airless gets the paint to the gun at fairly low pressure and the air assist atomizes the paint at the tip and helps control the pattern. This works very well for using water based stains and lacquers.

 o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

    If you are a member, please log in.

    If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Woodworking Forum

Information about Posting

  • You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here