Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sunnny_gw

pew bench

sunnny
11 years ago

Hi everyone! I don't think I've ever posted on the woodworking forum before but am an old timer to GW. I'm hoping someone might have some ideas or suggestions to help me with a project. I want to re-purpose an old pew bench that's over 100 years old. It's from the old church my great Grandfather built. There's no decorative wood and it's a PLAIN JANE. It's about 16 feet long with a totally straight back and seat that is an inch thick. The legs are just slabs of 2-3 inch thick wood. The wood may be pecan. I'll try to post a pic later.
I'd love to have a table top made for a dining table and DH wants to cut it in half, paint with decking stain or marine paint and use them in an outdoor setting. They are NOT comfortable so I think even with cushions our tushies won't be happy. What ever we do with it I love the idea of having it in whatever form since it's part of my heritage.
I've researched for re-purposed church pews and haven't found much other than a headboard. Does anyone have ideas or links where I might find inspiration?
My dad is a great wood man with every tool and has built nightstands, end tables, cabinets, etc and does beautiful work so he'd be my wood man if I can come up with an idea or design.
Thank you!
Mindy

Comment (1)