Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bostonoak

Last drawer front proving tough!

bostonoak
10 years ago

I've successfully installed 5 drawer fronts (they have 1/2" overlay as do the doors).

The only problem that has come up is with the 6th and last drawer front.

It goes on a base cabinet that has 2 drawers on the top, side by side, and 2 doors below.

The drawer front on the right side worked out fine. It lines up with the door below very well. And the gap between the bottom of the front and the door below is 3/4 of an inch all the way across.

The drawer front on the left (the problem one) keeps coming out so that the gap between the bottom left corner and the door is 3/4" while the gap between the corner on the right side and the door is 1/2".

This is the method I used for the drawer fronts:

I drilled 2 over-sized holes (5/16") halfway up the front side of drawer box front (one hole on the left, one hole on the right).

I then measured 3/4" from the cabinet door top and placed blue tape as a marker.

I then placed loops of carpeting tape (which is strong) on the front of the drawer box.

I then positioned the drawer front on the tape and kept adjust and measure the gap between the drawer front and the top of the door below until it was perfect. And I also used a level to make sure that everything was level and the doors and fronts lined up.

Then I clamped the fronts to the boxes.

Then I measured again to make sure there was no movement of the drawer front during the clamping.

If everything was fine, I then drilled a small hole into the back of the drawer front from the over-sized holes on the drawer box (while the drawer front was still clamped onto the drawer front).

I then removed the clamps, finished drilling the holes onto the back side of the drawer fronts (taking great care not do drill through to the front side).

Then I attached the drawer front to the drawer box using 1 1/4" wood screws and washers.

This method worked out perfectly with 5 drawer fronts. It's just this last one that's a problem. They say that the over-size holes allow for adjustments but this isn't proving the case here.

I have tried drilling new holes but it's not working. I have sealed the holes with Bondo and sanded them. I'm now trying to figure out whether there's anything else I can try. I don't want to seal the holes on the drawer box since they'll still be visible.

Any kind soul with a suggestion?

Comment (1)