Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jiggreen

cove molding on inside corners..do i need to cope?

jiggreen
18 years ago

i've just finished installing a beadboard backsplash in my kitchen, and it was a pretty straitforward job for a novice like me. now, i want to install cove molding underneath the cabinets and i'm having a hard time doing the corners (they are inside corners). i've tried using the mitre saw, but it's just not working out right. i have a feeling that this is the sort of scenario where coping is necessary, but i really don't have any idea how to do it. i can't cope with the coping...lol!!

can anybody give me easy tips on how to deal with these corners?

thanks!

jiggreen

Comments (7)

• jiggreen
    Original Author
    18 years ago

nope, i don't need to cope, i just need to put the darned molding into the mitre saw going the right way!! i just got one of the corners done and it looks really good..i guess i just needed to step away from it for a couple minutes and clear my brain!!

thanks anyway!
    jiggreen

• brickeyee
    18 years ago

A 45 miter only works on perfect 90 degree corners.
    For any other angle things get rather dicey, and coping provides the best appearance.
    Fine Homebuilding has had an article recently on installing and coping crown. There is a really nice coping foot for jig-saws that speeds things up a lot.

• kudzu9
    18 years ago

jiggreen-
    Coping is a superior method, even for corners that are a perfect 90 degrees because there is seasonal expansion and contraction or wood, and a coped joint will hide this, while a mitred joint may show a gap. To make a coped joint, you cut one piece at 90 degrees and butt it into the wall. Then you take the other piece that you're matching up in the corner and butt a piece of scrap up against it and trace the profile as best you can with a pencil. Then you get out your trusty $10 hand coping saw and cut carefully along the line. This is the hard part, and the only way to get it right is to practice. Once the profile is cut out it helps if you get out a utility knife and whittle a little bit away from the coped end (coming at it from the back and whittling against the cut end to almost the front edge). This helps the joint to be tight because there's no interference along the cut line from any of the wood behind the visible front edge. If you are real good, the pieces will marry perfectly. More likely, you may have to fiddle with the cut line a little using the utility knife. If it's really crappy, you may have to try again. That's why it's best to leave the other end a little long, so you can still use the piece if you have to recut it and make it a little shorter in the process.

• brickeyee
    18 years ago

That is the hard way to cope kudzu9.
    It is a lot easier to miter the piece to be coped, then cut away to the edge formed by the miter.
    See Fine Homebuilding for a recent article on coping and installing crown.

• homebound
    18 years ago

I saw that article, too. Easy method, but did you find their explanation confusing? In this case I think YOU described the method more clearly in one sentence than their article.

• abnorm
    18 years ago

Here's a great online tutorial.......

Here is a link that might be useful: AlterEagle