Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nbreau_gw

Closet into office

nbreau
15 years ago

Next to our dining/kitchen area we have a pocket door that opens up into a 4' wide by 3.5' deep closet meant for a stackable washer/dryer.

Since the washer/dryer are in the basement we would like to turn this into a small cubicle like area with a stool and some type of table where we can sit at with a laptop, to pay bills, do homework, etc ...

I'm not a craftsman by any means but I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestions as to how to build this. I would like the table to be along the right wall so that it's both convenient for the plug, and so that the kitchen is open to the right when sitting at the table. I also dont want to block the entrance too much either with the desk sticking out in front of the door so that it doesnt look awkward and is still easy to get in/out.

Hopefully my explanation is straight foward, I wasn't sure if this was the right forum to post in, if i should post somewhere else let me know.

I've attached a pic at

http://twitpic.com/1ovr4

thanks,

Nick.

Comments (3)

• steve_a
    15 years ago

For something simple and inexpensive, I'd install a counter the full width of the closet, deep enough to hold your computer, but still leaving room to push a chair under. You'd just need to screw cleats (2 x 3 or so) to the three walls at the proper height. You'd probably want the finished height of the counter to be 29 or 30 inches. Hopefully this would work out so as not to interfere with the outlet and dryer vent. You could go to lumberyard or dealer that sells veneered plywood, have a piece cut to size, then have a piece of hardwood glued to the front edge to finish it off. This whole thing would be removeable if you want to return the closet to laundry use. If you wanted to get fancy, you could put hinges on the back edge so that it would fold down when not needed (would have to install some hinged bracing then, also). Good luck.

• tim52317
    15 years ago

If I read your post correctly, you actually want to be able to sit inside this 48" X 42" area facing the right wall with the door on your right. Assuming the door is the full width of the opening. You wil have to place a cleat along the left side of the counter and the back. Along the right side, where the door is assuming that area is open, you will need a either a leg of some sort, which may interfer with getting in or out or an angle brace. This could be a simple as a triangler shaped board or even a shelf bracket. Using a piece of preformed kitchen counter would be ideal, ecept it would need to be cut down from the standard 24" to about 18" in order to allow you to get in and out.

I think Steve's suggestion on the counter along the back wall would be best. That way you could make it the full 24". However you waould have to be able to live with your back to the kitchen.

• nbreau
    Original Author
    15 years ago

thanks guys.

Someone else suggested i use a shelf type bracket as well to avoid having a table leg.

Sponsored
Brenda M. Miller Designer of Interior Spaces
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars73 Reviews
Client-Oriented Interior Design in Loudoun County | Best of Houzz X6