Return to the Woodworking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Clamping a mitered&biscuit joined square column..? help!

Posted by mak90 (My Page) on
Fri, Feb 15, 08 at 15:02

Hello woodworkers!

I'm making an oak square column this weekend, and - as the title states I will be mitering the edges of the column (where each side meets) and biscuit joining these sides as well.

Trouble is I'm perplexed as to how to clamp this bad boy... I've seen 90 deg clamps but they would only work on the upper and lower parts of the column, but i would like to clamp along the length... Any ideas?

Thanks all!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Clamping a mitered&biscuit joined square column..? help!

Strap clamps are perfect for your project.

In a pinch, you can use bungee cords.

Enjoy the journey.

eal51 in western CT

o

How large is the column? Are miters really necessary?

If you're going to try the strap clamps, make sure you rehearse the whole operation without glue. Use very small biscuits; they're just there for alignment and don't contribute to strength. I'm very doubtful that bungee cords would be strong enough.

o

Red Green would know how to do it - Duct tape!

If you don't want to clean off adhesive from the tape, then use the clear plastic wrap that sticks only to itself.

John

o

Actually clear packing tape, with a little stretch, works great. If you can forego the biscuits, you can simply tape the joints along the length and roll it up.

You can also spiral wrap with nylon cord with a little stretch to it.

If you have stubborn spots, Balanced bar clamps will also work

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Woodworking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here