Return to the Woodworking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
baseboard has top profile - can I add a basecap?

Posted by yellowpups (My Page) on
Fri, Feb 11, 11 at 12:42

My current baseboard is 1 piece with top profile. I want to add a basecap to it to dress it up and make it taller (and I don't like the current profile). I don't want the expense of buying new basboard. Is there a way that I can add a basecap to the top that overlays the existing profile? (I plan to remove all baseboard in order to have floors refinished, so this woulod be the time to do it.) Thanks for any/all advice!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: baseboard has top profile - can I add a basecap?

Anything is possible. Better question---Is it feasible?

Two ways to do what you want. Both require some basic but expensive woodworking tools. A table saw and a router w/table are the minimum requirements.

1. Cut off the part you don't like and add what you do like.

2. Try to find a router bit that has the reverse profile of the present molding and route new to cover.

Now, that was the easy part. The hard part is to match the color/tone of the old molding and the added sections. That takes a great deal of experience with finishing.

So, could you do what you want? Yes, but it would wind up being much more expensive than buying/finishing/installing new base molding.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Woodworking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here