Return to the Woodworking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Fixing a desk

Posted by nosambos (My Page) on
Mon, Feb 11, 08 at 12:40

I bought a desk from craig's list. It is L-shaped and one of the legs is too long. It has a formica top on very heavy particle board. I have neither the tools or the talent to deal with cutting it myself but I do need to have some questions answered before I track down someone who can fix it. I want a staight cut across the board without chipping the formica. I would guess that one should use a small tooth blade and tape the formica. Should the formica be up or down? What size blade? Hand held saw or fixed saw? After it is cut I want the formica already on the edge to be reused rather than try to find a matching color. Given that it is partcle board wouldn't soaking it release the formica after a couple days? I'm in Cleveland Ohio so if anyone actually can suggest where to take I would be most appreciative. Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Fixing a desk

This is one of those jobs that can be done with any of several tools, so long as it is done with some finesse. If you're not going to do it yourself then I'm not sure I'd worry about the details of how to do it. Where in Cleveland are you?

o

I'm in Cleveland Heights. I worry about the details because I might find someone who says they can do it but lacks the expertise. If I know what needs to be dome I can question them closely before I turn over the project.

o

I understand your desire to be careful, but it's entirely possible to use the "right" tools and still make a hack job out of it. You need to find someone who does nice work, carefully describe the finished product you want, and let them get it done their own way.

I'm way out on the West side; sorry, but I can't recommend someone local.

o

Maybe a cabinet shop could help you. I would think they are the best equipped to cut something like this. There is a place in Medina called Cabinet-S-Top. Number is 1-800-886-3630. They are a family cabinet shop and work in all sort of materials. They are really nice guys and maybe they can help you or guide you with who to go to.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Woodworking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here