Return to the Woodworking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
nail guns

Posted by merj (My Page) on
Fri, Feb 22, 08 at 12:02

A search of the WW forum shows that the last time this topic was discussed was 2005, so I'm hoping there are some new/better choices out there.

I am looking for a lightweight, somewhat-quiet, easy-to-handle nail gun to do small projects (moulding, etc) around the house. And can I be naive and ask if there is such a thing as a cordless nail gun?

I appreciate your opinions. TIA!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: nail guns

There are actually three sizes of nailers for molding---depending on the size and type of molding. 15 gauge, 16 gauge, and 18 gauge. Large crown molding sometimes requires 15 gauge finish nails, while door trim actually is done with small staples in the door jamb and 15 or 16 gauge nails into the framing.

Thye one nailer that can do both jobs is a 2&1/2" finish nailer in 16 gauge.

Google the words cordless nailer to see if there are any cordless models. There are cordless framing nailers, but I have never looked for any cordless finish nailers. Cordless are run with a power source(butane/etc) and a battery(for ignition) and do require regular cleaning and more maintenance than oiled models.

There are compressor/nailer deals available(Amazon for on line and Homd Depot/Lowes/etc for in store deals. Most of the ndeals include two or three nalers and the compressor for under $300.

o

In addition to what HandyMac says (and I concur), there are portable CO2 packs that eliminate need for a compressor. For regular operation, you will pay for the convenience and portability, but it's another option for the small job user.

See the below link and watch the movie. Lowe's has exactly the same thing (but painted blue and labeled Kobalt).

The most common cordless nailer that I know of is Paslode. I saw a couple of trimmers last fall using these exclusively. I kept wondering why they would use this instead of a 50' hose? Seemed a lot slower to me.

another option

Here is a link that might be useful: Jac-Pac

o

I love my Paslode angled finish nailer. Bought refurbished on ebay for <$200 (they're $350 new). It runs on a battery and CO2 pack, and is lightweight and cordless. It's definitely my favorite tool.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Woodworking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here