Return to the Woodworking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Diff types of oak finishes....whats the diff?

Posted by ereed (My Page) on
Sun, Feb 17, 08 at 11:49

Ok, I'm looking to buy a bookcase and I want the finish to match my desk. My desk is oak but I do not know if its honey oak, medium oak, or rye finish. Is there a way to tell before I buy anything online? Here is a pic of my desk, can you tell me what color oak it is?
Photobucket
Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Diff types of oak finishes....whats the diff?

Every manufacturer assigns their own name to finishes. Your piece appears to be what most would refer to as Honey Oak.

I suggest you ask for a finish sample, they may or may not be able to supply one.

o
RE: Diff types of oak finishes....whats the diff?

These are all marketing terms. They will differ both by manufacturer and even on the species of wood that you are applying to (e.g., red oak, white oak, ash, etc, that may all look similar until stained).

The only way to match is to run some samples, including your top coat. The wood, the stain(s) and the finish all contribute color to the result. Some manufacturers now sell fast food ketchup-sized trial packs for just this purpose. Most will cover 8"x8" sample boards.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Woodworking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here