Return to the Woodworking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Need help picking out hinges

Posted by jagermeister (My Page) on
Tue, Feb 7, 12 at 11:25

I'm going to be making some recessed medicine cabinets for my bathroom remodel. I'm going to construct the cabinet boxes out of 3/4" wood.

The boxes will then be recessed into the wall and drywall will come up to the edge of the box. I then want to use a 1" trim piece for the front of the cabinet box that will overlap the drywall by 1/4" for a nice finish. I hope that makes sense.

The "door" of the cabinet is going to be a framed mirror with the same dimensions, or slightly larger, than the final dimensions of the cabinet box with trim piece. In essence, all you will see on the wall is a hanging mirror and the cabinet will be hidden behind it.

I had planned on using frameless hidden hinges but when I went to Lowes to look at them, I could only find hinges with a 3/4" overlay. I would need an overlay of at least 1" to hide the cabinet box with trim.

Does anyone know if the frameless cabinet hinges (Blum) can be adjusted for larger overlays than 3/4". Do they make frameless cabinet hinges with larger overlays?

I've checked a couple online vendors but none of their descriptions mention anything about overlays.

Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Need help picking out hinges

"I'm going to construct the cabinet boxes out of 3/4" wood. "

Why so thick?

Even 1/2 inch should be more than adequate.

Thickness planers are your friend..

o

3/4" because Home Depot has 4'x8' sheets of cabinet grade plywood for $30. Would probabaly be the cheapest option.

o

A whole sheet for a medicine cabinet!?

You only need a top, bottom, two sides, and then something for the back.

You should be able to find solid wood for less than $30 for such a small job.

o

I agree with brickeyee. You would be left with a big unused sheet.

o

Well, I went back to Home Depot yesterday and looked at the 1/2" solid hardwood planks. With their pricing, just for the sides of the cabinets, the solid wood would be more than $30, then I still need a back.

My cabinets are going to be 22"x28" and I'll have two of them. They'll be roughlty 4" deep as they're going into a 2"x6" wall.

I was just thinking, for the price, a sheet of cabinet grade plywood would be the cheapest option. Maybe I'll dig a little deeper and see if I can't find some better deals on 1/2" solid hardwood.

Oh, and I don't own a thickness planer. So, another reason to go with the 3/4" plywood option?

o

"Home Depot yesterday and looked at the 1/2" solid hardwood planks."

Look in the yellow pages under 'hardwood' and find a real lumberyard.

The stuff at the big box stores is painfully expensive compared to a hardwood dealer.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Woodworking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here