Return to the Woodworking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help! New Jatoba bartop has oil splotches on it

Posted by peachymomo (My Page) on
Sun, Feb 19, 12 at 11:03

My mother is having the kitchen in one of her properties renovated and she just had a beautiful 12' x 16" piece of Jatoba installed as a bar, it looks great but a couple of her friends who like to use olive oil as hand lotion came in and put their oily hands on the unfinished wood and now there are splotches on the brand new bar. The carpenters tried to sand them out and they aren't as noticeable as they were but I can still see them and it's driving me crazy. Can anything be done? I've heard of rubbing Teak with tung or linseed oil, could we rub down the Jatoba with oil to camouflage the stains before putting the finish on it? My fear is that the faint blotches will be much more noticeable once the polyurethane is applied. Can anything be done?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help! New Jatoba bartop has oil splotches on it

Might try semi flooding the spots with alcohol to dissolve the oils. Or paint thinner.

Neither will hurt the wood, other than raise the grain a bit, mbut a couple swipes with a hand sanding block will solve that.

Adding more oil may impact the finish, whatever that will be.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Woodworking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here