Return to the Woodworking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Need advice re: installing wall-mounted bookshelves

Posted by ninjabeans (My Page) on
Fri, Feb 15, 13 at 11:00

Hi all - I recently moved into a rental apartment and had some long wood shelves made that I would like to install on a long living room wall for all my books. The shelves are 1" thick pine, and 3 of them are 6'-8" and one is 8'-8". The wall is 5/8" sheetrock on what I was told was a full 3-5/8" metal stud, about 16" on center. The brackets are heavy metal 10"x10"x1/4"th galvanized steel I got from McMaster-Carr w/ 4 screw holes on each to attach to the wall.

My question is - if I install in the studs, do I need a wall anchor? If so, what kind? Is this even advisable? I was told I should rip out parts of the wall to install wood blocking - this is a rental and I just painted that wall, so that's REALLY not an option.

Any advice would be SUPER helpful. THANKS!!!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Need advice re: installing wall-mounted bookshelves

The problem is that anchoring to even steel studs will not take all them much weight without blocking to spread the load over a larger area.

The folded edge of the stud will flex under load and the drywall start to crack around the attachment points.

Bookcases would likely be a better option, or some vertical supports to the floor from the shelves to transfer some of the load.

Even relatively small cross sections of hardwood usually have a high load capacity vertically.
You could use small 'posts' at the front and back of the shelves to get weight to a lower shelf, and finally to the floor preserving a lot of the 'open' appearance.

Even a 1 inch x 2 inch 'post' from a decent hardwood has incredible vertical load strength (parallel to the 'grain'.

You do not need 2x4s hardwood sections for something like this.

o

You really need to contact your landlord before either painting or drilling into the walls. Most would have a conniption fit and initiate eviction ASAP. And don't think that he won't find out either.

o

Thanks but the landlord knows all about it.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Woodworking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here