Return to the Woodworking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pine doors: shellac vs wiping varnish?

Posted by northcarolina (My Page) on
Tue, Feb 8, 11 at 10:48

There are a few pine doors in our basement that need finishing; they've been up for years unfinished but we're finally turning that room into living space (more or less). I have both clear dewaxed shellac (Zinsser ClearCoat) and varnish (Formby's tung oil finish) on hand. How do these two finishes look over time on pine? Similar, or would there be a significant difference in the look? Could I get away with as few coats of the varnish as the shellac to achieve about the same sheen? I am going to try to avoid painting... painting is such a pain with 6 panel doors, and there is other natural wood trim nearby (wainscoting in the stairwell). Wiping on with a rag is more fun, although both the shellac and the varnish stink to high heaven, so either way I would have to wait for a warm day so I can open the windows.

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pine doors: shellac vs wiping varnish?

Neither, IMHO.

Go to a paint store(I favor Sherwin Williams) and get real varnish. Or varnish at Ace Hardware.

Shellac dries too quickly to use on large areas like a door.

And Formby's stuff is just sales tools, not long term finishes.

o

Ah, I did not realize that Formby's was that much different than other kinds of varnish. Thanks for the opinion, I'll look into it!

o

I'm guessing what handymac means by "real varnish" is non-polyurethane varnish. Here are some options:

- Sherwin-Williams Wood Classics FastDry Oil Varnish(they make a number of polys, but this is not one of them)

- Cabot 8000 series (the final number indicates the sheen). I can get this at my local hardware store, sometimes by free "ship-to-store." Previously, this product was McCloskey's Heirloom and was re-branded a year or two ago.

- Waterlox Original (this is a darker amber due to its different oil and resin base)

- Pratt & Lambert #38

And realize, whatever the label says, if it's waterborne, it's largely an acrylic finish. It's not necessarily a bad thing, just different properties than oil-based and polyurethanes.

o

Thanks, bmu, I'll look into those too.

o

Thanks for the info! I'm restoring a dining table and did not want to use poly varnish. I got the Sherwin Williams FastDry.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Woodworking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here