Return to the Woodworking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Beginner Carving Set

Posted by cookie8 (My Page) on
Sun, Feb 17, 13 at 10:39

Hi, my 10 yr old daughter wants a carving set for her birthday. I bought a set for my son a few years back and it was on the more expensive side but didn't work that well. Should I buy individual pieces or how would you choose a set? Fixed blade set? Any tips for a young beginner starting out? Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Beginner Carving Set

" carving set"

As in wood carving?

Look around Woodcraft.

Quality carving chisels are not inexpensive.

o

The link below lists two beginners sets, one is the chisel variety and the other the chip carving variety.

Those are very inexpensive, probably intended for softer woods.

Here is a link that might be useful: Amazon

o

A $13 wood carving set is going to have metal so soft it will serve only to frustrate the user.

It is Chinese made junk.

o

Thanks. I found these sets at Lee Valley. Look good?

Here is a link that might be useful: http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/page.aspx?p=31103&cat=1,130,43332,43334&ap=1

o

Those are decent---but remember, they require final sharpening or will not work up to intended standards.

That means you need sharpening equipment as well. And leqarning the proper sharpening techniques.

o

Lee valley at least has a decent reputation, and they claim the steel claims is appropriately hardened.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Woodworking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here