Return to the Woodworking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How to recondition a tiger oak dresser?

Posted by CCinTX (My Page) on
Sat, Feb 2, 13 at 10:37

What products would I use to recondition a beautiful tiger oak dresser. The dresser is in excellent condition, and looks to only need some type of oil. I like the hand-rubbed finish that is not glossy, and I want to protect the wood. Any suggestions on what products to use and how to obtain this finish?

Thanks in advance.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How to recondition a tiger oak dresser?

I'd recommend an oil-varnish blend. Oil by itself is not very protective. Adding the varnish in improves that and does not alter the application method - wipe on, let dry for a few minutes, wipe off.

Here is a link that might be useful: Facts about oil finishes

o
oops

My prior message got truncated.

Clean first with Dawn & water, then mineral spirits.

Be sure to wipe off the excess before it gets tacky. These are not meant to build up a film finish.

And be aware most things labeled "Tung Oil (Finish)" are not tung oil and do not contain tung oil. The above article discusses this and which product names are oil-varnish and which are wiping varnish.

o

Bob thanks for the suggestion. Is there one of these products you recommend over the others? I don't want a shiny finish.

o

Watco comes in various sizes and tints. DeftOil is another brand.

You should be able to find either in your local stores.

Finishing rule #1 - Never use a product you've not used before without trying it out on scrap or an obscure spot.

Here is a link that might be useful: Watco

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Woodworking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here