Return to the Woodworking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
General cost of trimming (casing) windows

Posted by brian7972ri (My Page) on
Mon, Feb 4, 08 at 10:24

Hi, we have a relatively new colonial with no window casings. We have about 7 double windows and 2 smaller windows (bathroom). All we want is simple mitered casing with a stool and skirt below the stool. I will prime and paint myself.

Can anyone give me an idea of what we should anticipate for cost of this project from an experienced trimworker? I know labor prices value widely from region to region, so I recognize that this request is somewhat unscientific. I just don't know whether we're looking at $50 per window or $125. (We're in New England).

Thanks,
Brian

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: General cost of trimming (casing) windows

Even "New England" doesn't mean much, as you could be in some depressed rural backwater or an upscale Boston suburb. In the best case scenario (inexpensive materials and a cheap handyman) I doubt the price would be lower than your $50 suggestion, and the $125 is entirely believable too. The casing and sill for a typical double-hung window could consume somewhere in the neighborhood of 20 linear feet of stock, at a buck-and-change per foot for pine, plus labor. There's also the question of whether the jambs of your windows are flush with the drywall; jamb extensions, if necessary, would require additional material and labor. There's no shortcut to a meaningful number here; you'll have to get some quotes.

o
RE: General cost of trimming (casing) windows

Thanks Jon, we have someone coming out for a quote this week, and I wasn't even sure what ballpark he might be in (hence the post). You're right, though, there are too many variables to arrive at even a good ballpark, I guess. We'll see what he quotes us and I'll report back for a reality check.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Woodworking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here