Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tsherman_gw

Any tips to get sanding-dust out of oak grain?

tsherman
14 years ago

I am finishing our professionally installed oak railings (I know my limits!) and things were going well, but now I'm unsure.

I stained 2xs and it looks great. I lightly sanded 220, wiped down, polyed and sanded with 220, wiped down, polyed again(lightly), and sanded with 320. I was planning to do one more light coat of poly but I notice that some of the dust is trapped in the grain. I can scratch it out with my nail (so it is over the poly) but I can't wipe it off with a tack cloth or denatured alcohol. I'm afraid if I poly it will seal in the dust and I will forever see the white.

Does anyone know what I should have done (or not done) to prevent this problem? Now that I'm here, any ideas what to do next? I feel like I am so close to finished (no pun intended) and I don't want to ruin it now.

I really appreciate any advice,

Tara

Comments (7)

• sombreuil_mongrel
    14 years ago

Microfiber cloth.
    Casey

• brickeyee
    14 years ago

More wiping with a microfiber cloth, though if you used any solvent you may have made the problem worse.

I shop vac with a crevice tool might also pull it out.

Be very careful not to scratch with the crevice tool.

You may need to even sand the tool with 400 grit wet-or-dry paper to make it as smooth as possible.

• tsherman
    Original Author
    14 years ago

A dry microfiber cloth isn't dong anything (and I don't have a shop vac.)

Brickeyee: you said the solvent may have made it worse. So I should stay away from the denatured alcohol? Would water be a better option?

Any other suggestions?

I'm wondering if I should rub over with another light coat of stain and quickly wipe it off. That would stain the dust caught in the grooves and the rest of the wood should be OK. I could then repoly and just seal in the stained-dust. Is that making a bad situation worse?

It doesn't look bad... but I don't want to make it worse! TIA!

• someone2010
    14 years ago

You are supposed to use a cloth dampened with naptha if it is oil based and for waterborne use water plus 5% denatured alcohol. I have used water based analine dye in the way you asked about, Seemed to work ok. In any case, use a colored wax, like Minwax Furniture Wax Dark. Don't use Bree Wax for this because it will mar the finish.

• brickeyee
    14 years ago

Any solvent can cause the dust to cake together more tightly and be that much harder to remove.

Even if the solvent cannot actually dissolve the material, just like adding liquid to powder in baking you can create 'lumps' that are hard to break up.

If there is a lot of buildup you might try a very soft tooth brush. and even some dry baking soda with the tooth brush.

• sombreuil_mongrel
    14 years ago

At this point, wipe on a small amount of the finish with a cloth and see if the dust disappears. You may even prefer the wiped-on finish.
    If the pores are still ishy, wipe off immediately with thinner.
    Casey

• tsherman
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks all for your advice. I went over it again with the microfiber, and then wiped a thin coat of stain into the grain with a rag. I wiped off all excess stain immediately and let it dry. Thin coat of poly and I'm done! It looks great! Thanks for your help!