Return to the Woodworking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
water protection for wood

Posted by ednadog (My Page) on
Wed, Feb 27, 08 at 9:55

I want to make an old stained (not painted) oak dresser into a bathroom vanity. Any suggestions on what to use for the protective finish so that water will bead up and not soak into the finish. I've seen finishes used that turned cloudy and gummey when water was allowed to sit on the surface and I don't want that to happen. Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: water protection for wood

My suggestion is Waterlox Original (a phenolic + tung oil based varnish). It is about as water-resistant as any finish.

o
RE: water protection for wood

If I understand your question, my answer is you are out of luck. If the dresser is old, and retains its old finish, no topcoat over it will guarantee that the original shellac or laquer finish will not turn cloudy underneath your modern topcoat if it is subjected to standing water. Age will have already microscopically pitted the surface integrity of your antique subfinish. Water molecules will find these voids and turn hazy. I would strip sand, restain , seal with 1 coat dewaxed shellac and 3 coats Behlens rockhard tabletop varnish. Modern water based polys also have excellent waterproofing qualities and dry fast without the odor but some feel it may look kind of 'plasticky" .
good luck and enjoy!
Reid

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Woodworking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here