Return to the Woodworking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Refinish table top w/protective surface?

Posted by trielders (My Page) on
Thu, Feb 15, 07 at 9:47

Hi all - I have an Ethan Allen maple country dining table that has some sort of protective coating on the top that has not held up well. There are so many scratches on the top. The only way I can get it to look nice currently is constantly using orange oil & buffing, but after every meal I have to apply the orange oil & buff again. Sigh... I would like to refinish the top but am afraid to start sanding as I don't know if these protective surfaces sand off. Anyone know the type of surface I am describing and if I can refinish this top? TIA

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Refinish table top w/protective surface?

I had this same problem a couple of weeks ago on a dining table we received from a relative. The top was partially discolored (it looked like the original protective covering had been partially worn away). I was hesitant about sanding it but I was refinishing a couple of smaller tables at the same time, so I figured what the heck.

I got some fine grit sandpaper and lightly started sanding a small section, just to see what would happen. The old finish came off pretty easily and it was kind of gummy little balls (I had to change paper often). I went ahead and sanded the whole surface and then applied a polyurethane clear coat (3 coats). The table looks really good now.

I think as long as there is no stain in your table, you should be able to sand it down no problem.

o

I suggest that you chemically strip the surface, restain if necessary or desired, and apply a new top coat. You can sand, but that's a time-consuming way to go about it. And if you don't get it completely clean, you could have adhesion problems with your new coat or unevenness in staining. Strip, sand, stain, top coat.

Here is a link that might be useful: Primer on stripping

o

You should determine what the finish is by testing with mineral spirits, alcohol and lacquer thinner. It is probably polyurethane. If the finish is not discolored or softened, it can be sanded with 300 grit sandpaper (don't go through the finish), cleaned thoroughly to remove wax and oil, and another two coats applied.

If the finish has degraded and turned gummy, it needs to be removed. I agree with chemical stripping since the top is probably veneer and you can sand through it, especially near the edges. Polyurethane is hard to strip with chemicals.

o

If this is a factory-applied finish, it's highly improbable that it's a polyurethane varnish. It is just not used in a production environment.

Here is a link that might be useful: determining the finish

o

Hi,
There's always the odd chance that your table has had a very thick poured-on plastic (resin) coating applied (I doubt EA did it, but if the table is second-hand, a previous owner could have applied it). I once saw a huge repro sideboard with a wild inlaid veneer top which had been made impervious to any water damage by the application of such a resin or epoxy. It seemed to be over 1/16" thick. In this case, we were able to polish out the scratches, which were considerable, but nowhere near all the way through, with auto-type polishing compounds. I like the 3M Perfect-it clear coat compound. After that a coat of paste wax and it will be perfect.
Casey

o

I have a similar question re: EA Maple Dining Table with Forged Iron base. I'm remodeling my kitchen and this table will no longer fit into the floor plan. I was wondering if I could sand it down and then use MARINE VARNISH top and bottom to protect it and then PUT IT OUTSIDE? We live in SoCal so sun would be an issue -- Thanks for any insights! Am I nuts, etc.?

o

Re coat table really difficult, I tried do it but unsuccessful. I wasted three epoxy kits for about $30 each. I was beginner, the table was about 9sq/ft, and work temperature was about 60F, but it must be at least 70F.
Advise: keep recommended temperature, avoid dusting and any moving around table while epoxy curing, set up the table level. It is possible to apply 2nd coat if something wrong.

Here is a link that might be useful: Marble Restoration

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Woodworking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here