Return to the Woodworking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Stain Butcher Block Kitchen Countertop/Cutting Board?

Posted by wynswrld98 (My Page) on
Fri, Feb 8, 08 at 0:29

I have part of my kitchen countertop that is a butcher block cutting board that is used to cut vegetables. The countertop badly needs to be sanded and refinished. I was curious what is recommended to use as a stain once sanded as it will come in contact with food.

I don't want to just put a clear finish/oil on it, want to give it some brown color. Any recommendations?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Stain Butcher Block Kitchen Countertop/Cutting Board?

Recommendations? Don't do it. If you don't sand out all of the existing scratches very thoroughly before staining, then more pigment will lodge inextricably in the remaining scratches. This will look bad. If you manage to refinish the counter successfully and then start using it as a cutting board, you will soon cut through the stained wood in places. This will also look bad. Even setting food safety aside, a cutting board is just the wrong place for stain.

o
RE: Stain Butcher Block Kitchen Countertop/Cutting Board?

But if you are going to do it anyway, use a dye not a pigment stain.

Here is a link that might be useful: Transtints

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Woodworking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here