Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
vertise

Trim work Details

Vertise
11 years ago

I had some new baseboards and shoe molding put on months back. The room is still torn apart but I just noticed that the shoe is not sitting flush to the floor! I assume the floor isn't level but it seems excessive. Is this common and why does it have to be this way? If one far end of the room is higher, you leave a gap all along the floor?

This post was edited by snookums2 on Sat, Mar 2, 13 at 14:58

Comments (5)

• zagut
    11 years ago

Shoe moulding should cover small iregularities in the floor. It's flexable enough to do this.
    Sounds like the install could have been better by pushing down and bending the shoe to fit better.
    The shoe should also be nailed to the floor and not the base so the two move independently of each other.
    Gaps in the base are understandable because it doesn't flex and needs to be scribed to fit. That creates it's own problems . Thats why shoe is used to hide the deviations in the floor.
    It's not really a big deal to pull the shoe and re-install.
    A picture would be nice to see what kind of gaps you're talking about.

• Vertise
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I think it looked to be about 1/8" and ran practically the whole 20' run. It seemed like the one end was flush and then it raised up. I noticed some short runs sitting above the floor also.

I'm thinking maybe he was trying to keep the visual line level or something but I don't think I've seen so much gap except in small areas along a run. Major crud collector and bug entrance.

This post was edited by snookums2 on Sat, Mar 2, 13 at 15:00

• Vertise
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Any other thoughts on this? Do others bend the shoe to follow flush to the floor?

• lazy_gardens
    11 years ago

Yes - it's what seals the gap between the flooring and the wall baseboard.

I caulk it to the floor and to the baseboard with flexible caulk to stop drafts

• Vertise
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Then I wonder why he didn't do this. I'm seeing it throughout as I look closer. So, then it does not read as unlevel, being uneven to the top edge of the baseboard, when you force the shoe flush to the floor? (Which undoubtedly has some unlevel spots, but what house doesn't!).

I thought I had finally gotten a good carpenter to do the trim work. Although he did do some other odd moves (thinking his boss told him not to bother with stuff).

This post was edited by snookums2 on Sun, Mar 3, 13 at 22:09

Sponsored
Capri Home Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars33 Reviews
Reputable Home Renovation Company Serving Northern Virginia