Return to the Woodworking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Fixing drips on handrail

Posted by nypatti99 (My Page) on
Wed, Feb 8, 12 at 0:08

I've been working on finishing our stairs, rails, etc. for months now, and I can feel the end in sight finally. I finished the handrail with stain followed by 3 coats of Minwax semi-gloss oil poly. I thought I was being super careful, but ended up with drips on the vertical (its got some detail to the profile besides). I figure need to sand off the drips, but is there anything short of applying another regular coat of poly to restore the sheen after?

I've done some reading on rubbing the finish, but it sounds like that is not ideal for a semi-gloss poly. Can I use a wiping poly just to restore the semi-gloss shine? A friend told me he read something about polishing with steel wool and WD40, but I don't know about that. Any other advice (short of doing a better job next time...).

Thank you.
Patti

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Fixing drips on handrail

Wait for the poly to really cure down before doing anything else. A month will be sure. Then fine sand with a 320 sponge, sanding block, or small sanding sticks to reduce the drips.
Then, as you suspected, you can apply a wipe-on finish to even things out. The wipe-on will not fill in any sanding scratches, so your spot-sanding will have to be 320 grit. It will be far better to use wipe-on for the whole thing to have the sheen all match, unless the problem spots are so inconspicuous.
Casey

o

Thank you Casey. Its already been a month since I finished the rails (been working on other parts of the project) so that's not a problem. Will 0000 steel work? or does it have to be sandpaper? And yes, I was figuring I would have to wipe the whole thing (well, not the underside with all the spindles, but the whole top) not just the problem spots.
Thanks!!

o

Sandpaper on top of a firm backing does the best job leveling the drips. Steel wool will also cut finish off of the surrounding area, and you could use it to blend in the sanding marks/margins afterwards. Vacuum up all of the bits of disintegrated steel wool or it will get into the finish.
Casey

o

You might also try using a scraper. If you don't have one of these, a single edge razor blade or utility knife blade will substitute. Hold it about 80 degrees from the flat surface and pull it over the drips. Hold it between your thumb and forefinger with both hands and draw toward you with the blade leaning toward you. They're both sharp, so just keep your fingers away from the sharp edge.

You can also hold them at a low angle (5-10 degrees) and shave off the drip, but be careful not to get into the stain or wood surface.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Woodworking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here