Return to the Woodworking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Possible to fix discolored cabinet trim?

Posted by jaxo (My Page) on
Sat, Jan 8, 11 at 23:09

An above the range microwave was removed and replaced with a range hood. This exposed areas of the cabinets that had been hidden by the microwave. These areas have some kind of discoloration from I don't know what. Adhesive??!!

There are some scratches, but I am most concerned about the darkened strip running right near where the cabinet meets the wall in this picture.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Without replacing the cabinets, is there any was to fix this?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Possible to fix discolored cabinet trim?

The scratches are permanent unless you want to get into refinishing. For the discoloration near the wall, I'd be tempted to just cover it with a some sort of simple wood corner molding.

o
RE: Possible to fix discolored cabinet trim?

This looks very much like the veneer cabinets I have where the veneer came off with painter's tape. I had put the tape on to protect the finish from some floor work I was doing, and presto, I had a big problem. I ended up finding some stain to match my cabinets (got lucky) and fortunately, the tape was low on the cabinets, so I just trimmed out the bases with some 4 X 1/4" stained poplar. Looks nice, no more eyesore.

Though your issue is not at the base of your cabinets, I mention this only as a potential alternative. With a solid wood, you could ease the visible edges of it to make it bullnose attractively into the cabinet side.

If you did it right, you could make it look like it was designed that way all along!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Woodworking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here