Return to the Woodworking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Digital Photo Frame Project

Posted by skip97 (My Page) on
Mon, Jan 28, 08 at 22:45

I am working on a making a frame that will display 7 photos in a row. Along with that is another frame that will display 3 photos. I am concerned that the longer frame (see photo link below) will warp since the top and bottom pieces are a little over 4 feet long. Are there any suggestions to prevent this warpage or do you feel it won't be a problem? Thanks!

Here is a link that might be useful: Photo of frame

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Digital Photo Frame Project

Warpage depends on a lot more factors than size. The biggest thing to pay attention to is moisture content, because wood changes shape and size as it absorbs or looses moisture. If your lumber is acclimated to normal indoor conditions before you build anything out of it, it'll stand a better chance of remaining fairly stable.

That said, it looks like you used just about the poorest quality wood available, and chose some marginal construction techniques. That cheap, knotty, home-center pine is not great stuff, and mitering the corners on such wide pieces is just begging for the thing to disassemble itself.

o
RE: Digital Photo Frame Project

Thanks for your feedback Jon. I used knotty pine since our cabin in Maine has several walls of knotty pine done about 9 years ago. No big box stores within 50 miles of here so it's from a lumber yard and was extra so it's well acclimated. The idea was to have a casual look in tune with the rest of the place. It will be interesting to see how it winters over.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Woodworking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here