Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
olychick2

Gate latch SOS

Olychick
10 years ago

Hope someone with experience or good problem solving can help me. If there is a more appropriate forum, please suggest it.

New fence going in...the landscapers did something (that is too extensive to change) creating the rockeries and front walk/stairs that is now requiring us to switch from a single gate to a double. Both gates will swing free, both directions. It is on this order, but not so tall...but too tall to reach over to latch from either side, so the latch will have to work from inside and outside the gate. All the hardware I can find seems to be in the $350-$500 range. Is there any other solution I'm not seeing? Thank you for reading this far!

Here is a link that might be useful: Latches I'm finding are like this

Comments (5)

• handymac
    10 years ago

See the link.

Here is a link that might be useful: Gate latches

• Olychick
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks HM - I've looked at all the usual places, but am stumped on what kind of latch can be used for 2 gate system, openable from both sides without having to peg one of the gates to the ground so it doesn't swing. that costs less than $300! Was looking for other ideas - hd and lowes hasn't coughed up anything that I can see.

• aidan_m
    10 years ago

What you're looking for does not exist. The logistics of double doors also applies to gates. What you want is to have both gates "active". The only way to achieve this is to use a mechanism that raises and lowers a bolt into a hole in the ground. Then you want to be able to activate it from either side. The mechanical linkages required to connect a thumb lever from the outside to the flush bolt on the inside are quite complex, hence the hefty price tag. And then you need to use one on each gate.

Why is it necessary to be able to open either gate from the outside? It is not. The gate function is not impaired in any way by using a manual cane bolt on the inactive side, and a standard thumb latch on the active side.

• Olychick
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for your reply...the reason is the gate area is only 4ft wide and because there is not room to fully open a 45" gate (because of the way the stairs/landing were constructed) we had to switch to a double gate. Each side will be too small for passage without opening both and I can't expect delivery and guests to use a cane bolt, plus it wouldn't be accessible both on entry and egress.

We are now working to adjust the construction of the fence/gateposts to see if we can make one gate work. It's a bit of a nightmare and I was hoping there was something that I didn't know about that would make 2 gates work.

• Elraes Miller
    10 years ago

Are the gates too heavy for using a standard latch? Not sure why one wouldn't work utilizing both.

I'd try simple and go from there. My gate is built solid and have a standard latch. Also a very strong spring unit by the hinges to automatically shut the gate.

The finger latch has always caused problems on my gates.

I'd try this one.

Here is a link that might be useful: heavy latch