Return to the Woodworking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What type of sander do I need?

Posted by 1929Spanish (My Page) on
Thu, Jan 12, 12 at 22:28

Hi. Newbie here.

I need to buy a sander, but I don't know what type. I have a number of projects that will require some hand sanding, but a power sander would be really nice. I'd also prefer something lightweight and easy to use - meaning I can't mess something up too bad.

Here are my projects:

1. Currently refinishing an old french door. Have stripped 5 coats of paint and am down to a base coat "soaked" into the wood. Need to sand and paint.

2. Pine dining room table. Will be stripping varnish (this will be another post), and waxing.

3. Oak sewing table. Will be removing unknown finish and painting.

4. Future projects include an antique dresser and bookshelf.

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What type of sander do I need?

okay...weird...my post disappeared and reappeared. Sorry for the double post.

o

A rotary sander is your ticket. 5" or 6". Varialbe speed is best.

5 coats will be a chore for any sander under a hundred bucks and will make a lot of dust. Really bad news if any of the layers have lead in them. Stripping first may be a better idea.

One that hooks up to a vacuum is the best, but could mean another tool purchase because you don't want to use the lady of the house's vac.

o

+1 on the random orbit sander (ROS) and on the variable speed, soft start.

I have a Bosch that I've had for 20 years and like it. I got a great deal on a Festool a few years ago, and it is very nice. I'm not sure it's three times as nice as the Bosch to justify the price difference.

I've used some single-speed Dewalt and Porter-Cable and found that they very easily gouged the wood, a problem I've never had with the sanders I own.

My pad sander has been sitting on the shelf since I got the ROS.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Woodworking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here