Return to the Woodworking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
refinishing an end table

Posted by sewlutions (My Page) on
Fri, Jan 28, 11 at 22:05

I have a couple of end tables that were purchased about 30 years ago. Carelessness has resulted in cracks in the finish. So, I need to refinish or paint the tables. What is the best way to strip the old finish? I've thought about sanding the top only and painting it. I've refinished furniture before, but always dealt with much older furniture-so the finishes were different. THanks for your help.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: refinishing an end table

I would probably strip the end table with strong (methylene chloride) stripper, because there may be 30 years worth of pledge or other silicone-based polishes there just waiting to spoil your refinishing job. Sanding won't remove the silicone.
Casey

o

Thanks! I'm sure that at one time I did use Pledge and other stuff. Sounds like it will be a warm weather job!

o

Stripping won't necessarily remove the Pledge, either. Pledge will cause the new finish to fish-eye (create little craters in the finish). If there is any chance of Pledge contamination, I spray on a couple of coats of dewaxed shellac. While I buy in bulk, you can get it in an aerosol.

Here is a link that might be useful: Bullseye.

o

You can also add 'fish eye eliminator' to the new finish (it is actually more silicone).

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Woodworking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here