Return to the Woodworking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Finish for maple stairs

Posted by puckhog (My Page) on
Fri, Jan 25, 08 at 21:23

Hello....Im fitting unfinished maple treads and veneer risers over a paint grade set of stairs. I want a natural finish to match the nearby floors, so what would be a good choice to finish the project. How many coats and should I be looking at gloss, semi, or a satin?

Thanks for helping

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Finish for maple stairs

The gloss level is of no consequence...get the gloss level that you think will look good with your existing floor and the stair railing. Some people consider their stairwork to be furniture and so they apply satin.

Find out what finishing product was used on the nearby floors, if they are unfinished on-site. If they are prefinished, then you will have to make a blind call on what to use.

I use commercial waterborne two-part wood floor finishes and know very little about the oilbase products, except to say that they take forever to cure and are prone to marring until that curing is complete.

Hopefully more folks will come in with their recommendations for you.

Whatever you chose to work with, test first to see if you will like the results and only work with products specifically rated for use on floors.

The commercial quality waterborne polyurethanes will give you the lightest results, if that is what you're after.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Woodworking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here