Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cefreeman_gw

Cabinet door reinforcement

CEFreeman
10 years ago

Hi all!

I'm building cabinet doors out of some reclaimed wood. Love it! The textures, colors, and natural dings and dents are really making me happy.

This wood ranges in thickness from 1/2" to 1". I'm matching that up. The pieces are all jointed and biscuited.

I learned two new tools when I taught myself to use the nice jointer and biscuit joiner, and found a 2nd, bigger biscuit jointer in my garage. Oh, and a 4th oscillating sander. God bless my POC Ex, but that's another rant. :)

Anyway. I'm concerned that although these doors will be seldom used, they're not as strong as something with 1) new wood, and 2) no frame around the door. They'd be considered slab.

So, getting to my point, is there a way to reinforce these doors from the back that isn't totally a hack? What would your advice be?

Comments (9)

• klem1
    10 years ago

"The pieces are all jointed and biscuited."
    You need only to edge glue the pieces while glueing the biskits. No need for additional reinforcment.
    Welcome to woodworking and good for you on all accounts,teaching yourself,tackiling a project then seeing it through and getting rid of the POC.
    Not to flame G.W. but you will find far more inthustists to share tips with at www.woodworkingtalk.com

• sloyder
    10 years ago

certainly strong enough, wood is wood whether new or old provided it is in good condition w/o rot or infestation.

• sombreuil_mongrel
    10 years ago

I think you're building slab doors; it's typical to reinforce them from behind with a batten/cleat. If done nicely and detailed with chamfering or edge beads, it is perfectly acceptable, and better than a warped door.
    Casey

• lazy_gardens
    10 years ago

A cleat on the back, or glue them to a piece of 1/2" plywood like a mosaic.

• CEFreeman
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I was seeing a cleat in my mind.

I have faith in my joinery, but the wood I have questions about. Only a few pieces, but I had to use them for their color, grain, and some, paint circles.

I've also found conditioning the wood has made it seem far less fragile. I am absolutely loving how this is coming out.

I've been working on these cabinets for 5 years. First, building them because I had the materials, and buying a few when I had the money. Then I realized I could buy carcasses at the reuse centers for $5 and $10. Never could settle on a door I liked until I realized how in love I am with beaded inset.

So.... not only am I making beaded and regular inset, I'm using some of the cottage doors I bought (when I couldn't find something I liked) for a real, put-together look. I am not fond of perfect. It's more about balance and symmetry to me.

Thanks for the thoughts and suggestion, as usual.
    Christine

• lazy_gardens
    10 years ago

Pictures!

I want PICTURES!

• CEFreeman
    Original Author
    10 years ago

When I can get more than cell phone pics -- or at least good cell phone pics! I'm becoming very proud of these puppies.

I wish 1) my table saw's fence weren't broken, and 2) I weren't afraid of so much noise. The circular saw scares me, too, but I have a nice little one with the B&D Matrix system that I'm not so afraid of. Its jigsaw is also really cool!

• joeboldt
    10 years ago

"I weren't afraid of so much noise. "

Please buy sound proofing ear muffs, or you'll go as deaf as I am.

• CEFreeman
    Original Author
    10 years ago

No worries. I hate noises. My first dance in Jr. High, I came home to get ear plugs because the music was too loud in 1970.

I have tinnitus from decades of working in loud bars. I wear my ear muffs when I vacuum. I hate the clanking of dishes, squeal of brakes, hammering, you name it. I have 3 sets different places in the house.

I find myself at the grocery store with them still around my neck. Talk about one weird cat lady...

Oh - I'm on my 2nd B&D Matrix saw. The first spins, but when I put it to wood, it stops. Amazon sent me a replacement, but today, less than 2 cabinet door cuts later, same thing. I've let it rest and am going to try again, but I'm thinking this particular attachment is a problem. Shame. It doesn't scare me so much.