Return to the Woodworking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Strip oak cabinets to bare wood before painting?

Posted by jackson2009 (My Page) on
Wed, Jan 21, 09 at 19:25

I have solid oak kitchen cabinets that are probably 15-20 years old. They have a medium golden stain on them but the top coat (if there is one) I'm not sure of. I am considering painting them but would like to know if I can get away with only a good cleaning and then scuff sanding them before priming and painting? I'm hoping the answer is yes, lol, because I really don't want to sand these things. :)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Strip oak cabinets to bare wood before painting?

Paint will stick to most things that are "clean and dull." Use a good primer first as a bonding coat.

The exceptions that I know of are some of the 2-part finishes that nothing sticks to. These started to be used about 10-15 years ago. Test an obscure part with a little lacquer thinner or nail polish remover on a q-tip. If it softens or wrinkles the finish you should be OK.

Here is a link that might be useful: movie

o

Thank you for posting that link to youtube - I think I can handle that project! I thought it would be an ugly mess of sanding down the cabinets and boxes but because I have asthma it would be impossible for me to do it. My kitchen has outdated oak cabinets and I think I could paint them myself!

o

Check out the paint forum and the kitchen forum for more helpful ideas...

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Woodworking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here