Return to the Woodworking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How to clean up stained baseboards

Posted by haus_proud (My Page) on
Mon, Jan 28, 08 at 18:57

We are planning to have our living room and dining room repainted soon. The baseboards, doors and door frames in these 2 rooms are stained a sort of medium oak. The house is 20 years old, and we've lived here over 15 years. We've never done anything to the wood except dust it. I'm concerned that after we paint the wall the stained wood will show its tired condition and need some attention. I don't think it needs a major stripping/refinishing job. But I do want to clean it up so it will look fresh like the walls when they are painted.

I thought I might start with lemon oil and how it looks. If it seems to need more than that, what else can I do short of a whole refinishing job?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How to clean up stained baseboards

Start with a good cleaning. Then you can evaluate and scuff sand add more finish if you think it needs it.

Here is a link that might be useful: Saving the finish

o
RE: How to clean up stained baseboards

The site above is pretty decent.
i would argue that naphtha can be harder to use since it does evaporate so easily.

If you are not careful all you will do is smear the dirt around in a more uniform coat instead of removing it.

Paint thinner gives you a little more time to use paper towels or something else absorbent to take off the thinner and the dirt it has dissolved.

It is also cheaper than Naphtha.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Woodworking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here