Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cefreeman_gw

Stainable Filler -- or what would you use?

CEFreeman
9 years ago

Hello all!

A few years ago now, I built a butcherblock countertop. It's about 16' long. Very cool, if I do say so myself. However, at that point I learned (here) that Minwax wood filler is actually not stainable. Ok, you can stain it, but it'll never, ever actually look like wood, let alone the one you're staining.

So... I'm finding now that the Minwax filler is actually chipping out. Normally, I might be sad, but with the glass half full thing, I'm thrilled. I've got an opportunity to fill the cracks with something that would take a stain.

This is maple and to date, I still can't decide what color to stain it. The surrounding cabinets are cherry and a cream paint. Kinda irrelevant to this question, but it's running through my head. But I'd like the opportunity to set it up to do well, with the proper filler. There isn't much, but what there is, I don't want to stand out like a scar.

What would you use?
Casey? Bobsmyuncle? All you folks I want to BE when I grow up?

(I'm insane changing the configuration of my base cabinets again and have this in a good position to work on it well. See, there is a reason to keep spare base cabinets around. You never know when you might want to take off your 16' countertop and move things around!)

Comments (5)

• klem1
    9 years ago

Why would you need filler in butcherblock construction? To match newly stained color I suggest filler compatible with stain (both water base or oil). Mix carfully measured ratios of stain to filler and apply to hidden surface. Stain and finish wood along with filled spots. Hopfully one matches, If not ,change filler/stain ratio and do it again. Where wood is not being stained,saw dust from project mixed with glue is a good option.

• CEFreeman
    Original Author
    9 years ago

>>Why would you need filler in butcherblock construction?Ah, well because I do. This is made of reclaimed lumber and I made it before I knew anything about the tools I have, what they did, how to use them, or what should be done how. All in all, it's pretty darned good. There were some low spots I couldn't sand out, so I filled them. There are some end butt joins (I wouldn't do today) I filled because they weren't perfect. So I do.

It's not stained yet. I thought I'd made that clear. Sorry.

My thought was to make a bunch of maple sawdust and stain it before adding glue. If this is the best way, that's all I needed to know.

Thanks,
    C.

• User
    9 years ago

Sawdust and glue do make a good filler-----BUT!!!

Sawdust and glue will not stain at all. You said you might try to stain the sawdust before adding the glue, probably worth the try, but be aware sawdust stains darker than the wood.

So, you get to have an adventure---I say that because you do have a wonderful attitude about finding solutions. The key to matching wood filler color is to stain the wood first and try to match the filler color to the final wood color.

There are several options to filling and matching the color. Stain sticks come in several colors and some can be blended to make custom colors. They are similar to crayons.

Another is to stain the filler before applying---this can be tricky as the fillers usually dry a different color.

You could even learn a new skill---inlaying. With a router, an inlay collar set, and a straight bit with some guides, you can use maple wood to inlay and fill holes/gaps/knots/imperfections and have a nice conversation piece. Then stain away.

• sswinehart
    9 years ago

Timbermate wood filler can be stained. You can also mix stain with the filler, however, you will have to do some tests with the filler as it dries a bit lighter than the mixed color.

It comes in a neutral tint base and also colors. If you can decide on a stain color, I would pick the one closest to wood stain color on the wood after the stain has dried, and then tint that to match the wood.

It's inexpensive so you might want to buy both the neutral base and the colored filler and experiment with both of them to get the best match.

• jeff-1010
    9 years ago

bondo has been my favorite wood filler. score the surface to be filled, it gives the bondo something stick to.tape the surrounding area . find a yellow colored bondo at the auto shop and pack it in. shave it flush to the surrounding surface then sand smooth. unsealed bondo turns dark when stained ,so start with just a touch of matching stain. you might have to play with colors to get a match . if you don't get it right lightly sand the color off.