Return to the Woodworking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Decorative Painting on Butcher Block Table

Posted by HollyHobbie (My Page) on
Sun, Jan 15, 12 at 16:22

I just sanded my dirty, old butcher block table and it looks great! I would like to paint decorative art and fun sayings about food in acrylics around the perimeter of the table, leaving most of the beautiful wood exposed. When completed, I plan on having a piece of glass covering the table since this is our kitchen table. I have read that mineral oil and beeswax is the way to treat butcher block but do not think I can paint over mineral oil. Is there any simple way to complete this project? From a woodworking perspective, what steps would I take to best protect the butcher block wood?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Decorative Painting on Butcher Block Table

You do not need mineral oil or much of anything else if you are going to cover it with glass.

o

Mineral oil and beeswax (or paraffin) is an appropriate finish for work surfaces subject to cutting, pastry rollout, or dough kneading. It makes no sense for a table top.

o

" It makes no sense for a table top."

Can I ask why this would not be a good finish for a table? I like natural finishes and would probably consider it also.

o

What are the main purposes of a finish?

o

Protect and seal the surface. Look beautiful ;)

o

"When completed, I plan on having a piece of glass covering the table since this is our kitchen table."

The glass alone should be more than adequate since the table is NOT a work surface.

At most a layer of water based poly (it has less tint than just about anything else) will provide some protection if anything gets under the glass (a drip a the edge can travel between the glass and table by capillary action).

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Woodworking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here