Return to the Woodworking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Tile trivets with wood molding edges

Posted by linnea56 (My Page) on
Wed, Jan 16, 08 at 15:00

I bought some hand-painted tiles. I want to use them as trivets and also be able to hang them up on the wall when not in use as decoration. I dont want to re-invent the wheel, so I imagine someone here has made a lot of these and can advise me. I think I am making this way too complicated.

I plan on using some egg-and-dart oak molding that will tie in with other molding I have added in the kitchen. Under the tile itself I thought I would use some masonite or plywood. The tiles are a little thin, maybe 3/8 inch, so I think they need some backing. Im not sure how I should attach the molding to the base, whether it should be recessed or whatever. If the base is recessed, I would have to nail through the sides of the molding: therefore the base material would have to be thicker. Or could make a corner block. The egg-and-dart molding is rather thick and substantial.

And should the tile just be glued in? Since it will conduct heat I need to have a glue that will not weaken with heat, so the tile wont fall out when hanging someday.

For hanging I was thinking about using a keyhole-type insert. Is there anything that would be better? Thanks in advance!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Tile trivets with wood molding edges

I have one of these that's 25 years old and used daily. I think you might be over analyzing. (Something I'm often guilty of). I just made a frame, cut a rabbet in the top and dropped the tile in with some glue. I probably just used yellow wood glue, but I can't really remember. Lately, I have started to use GOOP for a lot of mixed mode gluings. It keeps some flexibility and seems to hold well.

o

(I forgot to check the e-mail response box when posting so didnt know anyone had answered)

Thanks for your response, bobsmyuncle.
I do overanalyze, thats true. What concerns me is that I want to be able to hang it on the wall, so dont want to have the tile drop out. Has anyone made a hanging one? I had not thought of Goop, I do have some. I dont have the equipment to rabbet, but having a wooden base under the tile will work as well.

o

You could also use epoxy. A good one, like JB Weld is heat proof.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Woodworking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here