Return to the Woodworking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
refinish kitchen cabinets

Posted by susan2009 (My Page) on
Thu, Jan 8, 09 at 14:29

I want to refinish 25 year old high quality, custom cabinets. Don't know type of wood but stain appears to be walnut. I have cleaned the cabinets with manufacturer recommended spic and span but shiny,smooth, grease area remains around pull knobs, probably from hand oils. Also 2 cabinets have scratched areas around knobs down to bare wood. I've done furniture refinishing and done the complete job of stripping, sanding, staining and sealing but I don't want to change the cabinet color and am afraid if I strip I might not get an even stain color match with the cabinet boxes. For grease area what can I degrease with and can I then just sand and seal? Has anyone used Restorz-It internet product? Any other suggestions?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: refinish kitchen cabinets

Remove the pulls/knobs and reclean with TSP---or whatever is sold as the replacement. Then lightly sand the sirfaces and try touching up the scratches with touchup sticks---rubbing in the compound with your finger.

Then recoat with varnish.

Sherwin Williams has a good regular varnish---and the TSP stuff. Other paint stores---NOT home improvement stores---real paint stores will have decent varnishes as well.

o
RE: refinish kitchen cabinets

I used Restorz-it on the kitchen cabinets in our old house, prior to selling it. I only lived with it for about a year, so I don't know about its long-term durability, but it did a decent job. It did come out shinier than the original finish. Still, they weren't particularly high quality cabinets, and they were very detailed, and Restorz-it was a quick fix. WAY easier than stripping, sanding, etc. I know purists won't agree with me, but it's a cheap and easy temporary fix. Easy enough to touch up when needed also. Good luck.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Woodworking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here