Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
poorowner_gw

Rockler molding bit

PoorOwner
15 years ago

I want to make my own crown moulding for the kitchen cabinets due to the gap to the ceiling is a bit too small for most off the shelf moulding. I looked at Rockler and found these 2 bits, would it produce a suitable moulding on top of cabinets?

It looks like the bit is too straight and not enough "flare out" towards the top, also, is their picture showing it upside down?

http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=5310&filter=moulding

http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=2141&filter=moulding

Thanks

Comments (5)

• furnone
    15 years ago

Neither of those are crown moulding bits. There is no reason you can't turn them upside down if that does the trick.

They have some bits for 2 1/4" crown moulding also. They are applied at 45 degrees, so will be about 1 1/2" high as applied.

You must use these bits in a router table.

Here is a link that might be useful: Crown moulding bits.

• PoorOwner
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for your reply, I understand you need to use that in a table, Would you route the wood straight and then route out the 45* on the back with a chamfer bit?

It does end up at about 1.6" which is perfectly the height I need to be at!

Also I am not clear how to read their radius to predict the look. It's kind of confusing.

• furnone
    15 years ago

You could do it with a 45 degree chamfer bit, but it would be much easier to do on a table saw. The back is against the wall so the saw marks would not be a problem. It would probably be easier to cut the back chamfers first as the top and bottom of the profile will probably not be 90 degrees to the saw table.

It's difficult to picture the various radii, I would call Rockler and see if they can send full size profiles of the different bits.

For a one time project, this can be a lot of work and expense. You will probably have to do quite a bit of sanding. Brosco Millwork, who supplies many of the lumberyards has some crown mouldings in your size range. They will probably have to be special ordered, but that may be less expensive than buying the bits and material.

Here is a link that might be useful: Brosco Millwork-Crown Mouldings

• sombreuil_mongrel
    15 years ago

What's the point of 45-ing off the back of the solid molding? Just so it looks like what comes from the store? They make it that way to save money. In the very old days, a lot of crown and bed-moldings were made solid. Unless you need a flexible molding, there's no reason to go through the extra step. The non-sprung molding may be easier to install. ( a molding that juts out at 45 degrees with space behind it is said to be sprung.)
    Casey

• PoorOwner
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Casey.. can you explain if I don't 45 the back of the molding, how do I put it in at 45 degree angle, it would not sit well and the back square corner would hit the ceiling?